Rethinking Medicine - the patient's perspective
A National Voices’ member event on the Rethinking Medicine initiative
A growing number of doctors and patients are questioning whether modern medicine has overstretched itself. The medical model focuses on pathology and clinical markers of disease rather than quality of life or wellbeing. This model alone is not enough to address many of the multiple and complex challenges that people face with their health and wellbeing. Tomorrow’s health professionals will need to be different to today’s; they will need to understand how to provide compassionate, coordinated person-centred care. It’s time to rethink medicine.
National Voices has been involved in the Rethinking Medicine initiative in England since it began last year. This event is an opportunity for members to engage with the initiative and discuss how we can be involved in bringing patient perspectives into the debate.
It will also be the first across-the-nations discussion on how England can learn from established initiatives in other countries.
We will be joined by leaders of the Rethinking Medicine initiative in England. We're also excited to have Sally Lewis, the National Clinical Lead for Value-based Care in Wales, and Gregor Smith, the Deputy Chief Medical Officer for Scotland, who are both GPs, speaking about similar initiatives in Wales and Scotland.
- What is Rethinking Medicine?
- What are its implications for the voluntary sector and person-centred care?
- Do charities have a role in Rethinking Medicine? What are charities already doing?
- How can we make sure the initiative is firmly grounded in the realities of people’s experiences of health and healthcare?
- What do you think the initiative should be doing?
- Where are other countries in the four nations doing this well? Examples of ‘good’ from Scotland and Wales.
People with lived experience
Members are welcome to bring people with lived experience and patient reps to the event. However National Voices will be unable to cover any expenses. Please select the ‘person with lived experience’ ticket type.
Final agenda TBC.
Please note Deloitte have three buildings within the same square. This event is at building number 2 in New St Square. National Voices' signage and staff will be at the door to direct you.